Tuesday, August 6, 2013

La Bamba

Well I said I would review the new and the old and for me this one is a classic. I love a good music filled movie especially about rock and roll legends. I have been watching this movie since before I can remember and it has always always been one of my favorites. Lou Diamond Phillips is incredible as Richie Valens. He is dead on with his performances and portraying the vulnerability of a teenager. Esai Morales is quite amazing too as he plays Bob, Richie's half brother. I have a real love and hate relationship with Esai in this film. God his character is hateful but the love he has for his brother is undeniable. Also Rosanna Desoto me oh my she is the definition of a strong mother in this film. I felt every emotion that Rosanna delivered as Connie Valenzuela, Riche's mother. I ball and whine like a child when Connie learns Richie has died while she is listening to the radio and hanging laundry in her backyard. Can you imagine learning that your loved one had passed away over the radio? I crumble when she screams out in Bob's arm "Not my Richie, not my Richie". There is nothing harder than heartache and lose and this movie portrays both.The music in this movie makes it for me, you will always find me snapping or dancing when I watch this film and signing along of course. I mean who doesn't love "La Bamba"? This is a powerful movie! Yes Richie died tragically in a plane crash at the age of seventeen but he lived his dreams, not many of us can ever be able to say that. This is a story of making it from the bottom to the top, family struggles, talent, lose, and ROCK AND ROLL. What more can you ask for? Please give this movie a shot it doesn't get the credit it deserves in the slightest.

My Overall Rating: Yes I am bias on this one 91/100

No comments:

Post a Comment